Saturday, July 28, 2012

Values & Beliefs


Values  & Beliefs .... seem very close , but I think distinction exists , however thin  . My understanding is that,  Values are kind of guidelines one has ( a self understood sense of Right , Wrong ) , whereas beliefs are what we believe as true ( valid for us ) like convictions . In a way values also have to be beliefs ( convictions ) though they go beyond being ( mere ) beliefs & actually guide or channel our behaviour -- it's a ' fall back ' mechanism of our conscience .
I tend to use analogies as they help clarity on a point . If I can take analogy here from science ; Values to me are ' Vectors ' ( which have a sense of direction ) & beliefs are like ' Scalers ' ; both may have the same weight ( quantum ) , but  'Values'  in addition have direction .
If we take values as guidelines & not as virtues ( good / bad ) , in that sense , I suppose everyone -- including a criminal or a politician -- has ' Values '

No comments:

Post a Comment